Kitchen Corner

January 14, 2010

Pork Floss Bun

I've seen many blogger make this roll up bun that looks really interesting and some of the bakery shops are selling it too! It's just happened that I've some left over pork floss, so why not give it a try from the recipe 65度汤肿面包.
The buns was topped with lots of sesame that taste really good. Not to forget the pork floss, it's absolutely a great combo with the mayo spreading on the buns. I find that rolling up the bun like a swiss roll makes it looks prettier and very appetizing! Recipe for a roll makes 5 buns: 195g bread flour / 90g plain flour / 12g milk powder / 30g caster sugar / 6g salt / 6g yeast / 60g beaten eggs / 65g water / 75g water dough / 45g unsalted butter
** some mayo, sesame and chopped spring onion Recipe for the water dough "water roux": Cook 125g water with 25g bread flour at medium low heat, keep stirring until it become thicken and no lumps left. If you've a candy thermometer, measure it until the temperature turn to 65C then turn of the heat. I didn't measure it with thermometer, so I cook it until like a baby porridge. Transfer to a clean bowl and cover with a cling wrap to avoid skin forming. You will not use up all, measure 75g for the recipe.
How I make it:
  1. Put all the dough ingredients together for kneading except butter until it become a dough. Add in butter and continue the kneading process until it become smooth and elastic and the dough no more sticky or sticking at the side of the mixing bowl. Let it proof for 40 minutes in a clean bowl cover with cling wrap.
  2. Roll out the dough into a rectangular shape and place on a baking tray. Use a fork to poke some holes on the dough and let it proof for 15 minutes.
  3. Egg wash the dough and sprinkle some sesame and chopped spring onion. Continue to proof for 15 minutes.
  4. Bake at 180C for 15 minutes. Don't over cook it, otherwise the dough will become tough not soft.
  5. Spread some mayo on the bread and top with the pork floss evenly. Roll it up like a swiss roll tightly. Cut out 5 portions and spread some mayo at both side of each bread. Coated the side with lots of pork floss. Enjoy!

16 comments:

Bits said...

wow! This looks so delicious! Floss is one of my favourite.

Quinn said...

What's this???? Chicken floss swiss roll????? Smart idea, I was cheated and really thought it is cake like rather than bread like. Neat job, that's normal of you isn't it Grace? I'm so jealous by your baking skills now... :(

Pei-Lin said...

Hey, I did make this late last year ... Was wholemeal version though ... Just never got around to blog about it! Yours look so picture-perfect! Aren't they yummy!

Pei-Lin

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Floss is my kids favourite, must make this for them one day. Thanks for sharing.

tracieMoo said...

yes it looks exactly like the ones sold in the bakery shops! thanks for the recipe :)
Got to try this out soon!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

So nicely done Grace! I think I will never get tired of eating floss with bread. Guess you have to pass me some of these yummy buns now, heehee.

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi Grace,
Your pork floss buns is making me hungry and wishing I have one in my hand right now!! Looks really good and definitely beats all those selling in the bakeries! Yours are so full of floss! I agree with the rest that we just can't get enuf of flosses!! ;)

Anonymous said...

I have been having lots of problem trying to bake good bread. Be it using my breadmaker machine or KitchenAid mixer. Can I know if you use a mixer for the dough? I previously tried with the mixer but thought it is just not powerful enough to mix the dough well. (just like a poor carpenter blaming his tool!) Appreciate some tips on how you can whip up such nice breads. Thanks. -- Jas

Anonymous said...

Hi Grace,

A wonderful blog u have. By the way, do you need to allow the cling wrapped water dough (water roux) to cool down first b4 using or for how long you need to cling wrap it?

Snoopy

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Bits of Taste,
Thanks! I feel that many people really like floss. It's very delicious no matter serve with bread, porridge or snacks, yummy!

Hi Quinn,
haha..some of my friends had the some thought with you as it looks more like a cake roll than bread. Anyway, there are still plenty for me to improve for my baking skills :(

Hi Pei Lin,
Wow.. I think I would like to try out the wholemeal version. Look forward to try out your recipe. Please let me know when you post it up ok. Cheers!

Hi Sonia,
Hope you like this recipe. Happy baking!

Hi tracieMoo,
Really? Thanks for your compliments. I still find a bit of difference there. Hope you like this recipe, cheers!

Thanks Bee, floss is just a fantastic combo with bread. I know you can make it. Try it yea!

Hi Jane,
haha.. it's truly appetizing! Are you sure it can beats the bakeries one? I don't think so because the bun didn't stay soft on the second days.

Hi Jas,
I'm using kitchenaid dough hook to knead the dough. It save me lots of energy. Just bring eveything into the mixing bowl and knead until it become smooth and elastic consistency and no more dough sticking on my hand.

Thanks Snoopy! The reason to cling wrapped the water roux is to prevent it drying and skin forming. Sometimes, I didn't cling wrap it as it stayed nicely at my kitchen climate. Once the water roux completely cool down, you can use it anytime.

Happy Flour said...

Hi Kitchen Corner,

Am I late? I love this bread roll. It look yummy. :P I really have to find time to bake bread after Chinese New Year.

Anonymous said...

Grace,
Thanks for your response. I will give my mixer another go. I hope I can be as successful as you one of these days. It is very depressing that breads always ended up in the trash bin after so many hours of waiting. The only success I had till now is to whip white bread using the breadmachine :( - Jas

Blessed Homemaker said...

Looks like store bought, if not better!

sana said...

your bread look testy and yummy what a wonderful blog u have!!! i never try to make bread or bun with water dough before is a difficult to repair? and thank you for the receipt i wana try one day

Elin Chia said...

Hi Grace..great job done on that floss bun..It looks better than those sold in the bakery...seriously! Thanks for sharing..will bake this for the Piggies when they are back :)

Kitchen Corner said...

Hi Happy Flour,
I guess you must be busy with baking CNY cookies :) Any good cookies recipe can share with me?

Hi Jas,
Don't give up ok. Waiting for your successful experiments ok.

Blessed Homemaker,
Thank you for dropping here leaving some lovely comments. Cheers!

Hi Sana,
Hope you like this recipe. Thanks!

Hi Elin,
Hope you like this recipe and thank you for the lovely words. It's very encouraging. Cheers!